Tuesday, 20 April 2010

Muesli Musings

My breakfast cereal has, over the years,  metamorphisised  into something so extravagant that a post about it could not possibly come under a 'Thrifty' heading.  Every day, bar one at the weekend when I breakfast on egg on toast (and also in France when Lidl's excellent Master Crumble version suffices) I  tuck into my own home made muesli.

A big bowl of the stuff takes about ten minutes to make.  It would be quicker if  I didn't, for example, store pine nuts in a container marked 'ground almonds' and then spend an age opening loads of containers trying to find them.  Currently I use the following ingredients in variable quantities according to what looks right at the time.

  •  Jumbo Oats  that are as fat as possible
  • Malted Wheat Flakes from a healthfood shop
  • Pumpkin and Sunflower seeds, normally from Julian Graves
  • Linseeds  from a healthfood shop that apparently 'keeps me regular!'
  • Hemp seeds but not sure why I started adding these
  • Raisins
  • Lidl's Dried Fruit Slices and their Nuts Royale blizzed to a sticky pulp in the food processor
  • Banana chips - lots more than I would add if  Louis didn't nick them out of my bowl to put on his Weetabix
  • Pine Nuts
  • Dried cranberries which add a pleasing tang to the mixture
  • A handful of Julian Grave's Hawaiian mix
  • Coconut Flakes
  • Goji berries which I personally think are pretty nasty but counteract the nice but unhealthy yoghurt raisins in the Hawaiian mix.
So a super duper start to the day which seems to fill me up sufficiently so that I rarely feel the need to snack before lunchtime, although sometimes do anyway especially if someone has left a box of Thornton's chocolates in the office!

No comments:

Post a Comment