Wednesday, 14 April 2010

Thought for the Day: You're worth it?


I've started to feel a bit sorry for the über-rich.  Take Posh Spice for example.  So much of what she has is luxurious.  Numerous Birkin bags, Beckingham Palace(s) and  a designer treehouse for her sons.  When I looked at this picture it came to mind that even her grey underwear resulted from a designer's fantasy rather the washing accident that created my own.  However, on second glance what I originally believed was a bra could be the top of a dress!

But how in such a 'perfect' world when you have consistent access to the finest possessions, tastes and experiences that the world can offer are you able to treat yourself.   Do you become less tolerant if things don't always match up to the ideal vision?  And surely access to constant luxury must dull the sense of excitement..  How do you pamper yourself when the extra special becomes run of the mill.?

So even though 'I'm worth it' I don't see this as an excuse for spoiling myself with lots of material purchases on a regular basis.  Rather I now limit the amount of treats that I buy so that they retain their specialness.   My experiment to limit clothes buying, as far as possible, to a twice yearly wardroble update means that seems like opening presents during childhood Christmases.  This is much more satisfying than lunchtime impulse purchases on a regular basis.   Eating out less frequently has meant that this is more of an event, even more so as we are inclined to 'splash out' and go somewhere a bit nicer. 

I'm becoming more adept at noticing the everyday things that bring moments of pleasure to my life at little or no expense.  Here's the list I've come up with so far.
  • Watching the birds in the garden whilst eating breakfast
  • Egg and chips - Runny yolk with the underside of the white like a brown lace doily!
  • Perfurmed soap from Provence
  • Sardines on toast
  • A trip to the library
  • Freshly laundered clothes that have been dried  in the garden
  • A squirt of Chanel No.19
  • Beachcombing
  • Sunshine on my face.
I  now challenge Posh to come up with her own!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment