Thursday, 27 May 2010

Just finished reading: Red Tent



I received The Red Tent by Anita Diamant as a present from Mr Lovelygrey. At Christmas and birthdays we sometimes buy each other a pile of surprise books and this was the last of a few titles that he had selected in December 2008. This book has languished in my bedside cabinet for nearly eighteen month but I'm not sure why.  Perhaps I was not drawn to the 'Watchtower'-esque graphics on the front cover or its Old Testament subject matter.  Anyway it's now done, dusted and  heartily recommended.

It weaves a story based on Dinah, the only daughter of Jacob, the chap with many sons including Joseph (of the technicolor dreamcoat fame).  I'm not sure how much it is based on fact but it brings  together historic accounts of life at this time with clever imaginative story telling.  The result is a beautiful piece of writing which not only sustained my interest from cover to cover but has also whetted my curiousity enough for me to revisit the latter part of Genesis from where the inspiraton for this tale came.

So, not for the first time, I've realised that sometimes it's good to stray from my comfort zone and choose to do something that I might not have initially been drawn to. I've gained new insight into a time of history that I wrongly perceived to be 'as dull as dishwater' and had a thoroughably enjoyable read to boot.

No comments:

Post a Comment