Thursday, 6 May 2010

Lovelygrey's Guide to Successful Bad Parenting Vol: 1

..... And believe me there's many more examples where this one comes from!

Q: How do you get your 7 year old to drink enough fluid?
A: By teaching him how to play pub drinking games!

The idea came to me during a family meal in a pub in Bristol at the weekend.  A group of 'youngsters' (probably students) started a drinking song which, although was quickly quashed by bar staff, was repeated often enough for me to get the gist of it.  It went something like:

I love to drink with  ...
Cos ..... is my mate
And when I drink with.....
He always drinks in  8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 (Countdown for drinking pint).

I wondered if the song might encourage Louis to drink.  It does ... and he thinks it's great fun!  Of course I'm not a bad enough parent to allow my son to quaff pints of beer.  Milk or water is his preference. 

So perhaps this a little bit of evidence to show the bad side of Mummy Lovelygrey's parenting.   But desperate times calls for desperate measures.   As it is notoriously difficult to get Louis to drink enough, any tactic that gets allows me to get  fluid into him without nagging seems genius to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment