Wednesday, 26 May 2010

The Mending Pile

I've been procrastinating on my mending for a while.  But it's threatening to topple over and can't wait any longer.

I get quite fond of a lot of my clothes and like to see them last as long as possible.  My convertible walking trousers are over five years old but the zip recently burst apart.  However after tracking down a new 5" replacement (surprisingly rare) they'll probably keep going for another half a decade if I stop eating the Kouign Amann


So a couple of hours of work and garments are returned to the wardrobe.  I've sewn up a hole in the arm of a black T-shirt so it's good for a little while longer, Ian's holey jeans have got a new lease of life by cropping them to make shorts. And after repairing the rip in the bum of  Louis' jogging bottoms which appeared after first wear I'm glad to say that they will live to fight another day thanks to Prym iron-on mending fabric!



A hole appeared in the sleeve of this cashmere cardi last week so rather than throw it away I've used the same repair material, this time in light denim effect to make elbow patches and a sweet coordinating heart motif. A few holes in the neck and underarm were sewn up too. I'm hoping that it will give me a few more months use until it falls apart completely. Then I'll have the perfect opportunity to try my hand at felt making!

No comments:

Post a Comment