Monday, 10 May 2010

Mini Church of Craft

'If you build it, they will come'!  This is the lovely Naomi to whom today's post is dedicated in hearty thanks for being my first blog follower!

The title of today's post is inspired by the movement 'Church of Craft'.  Their objectives which value creativity and inclusiveness  appeal to my deeper spiritual side.  This sits comfortably next to the part of my psyche wherein lies my higly developed appreciation of toilet humour and all things smutty, including 'Budgie Smugglers' the term for tight Speedos  that I heard on Radio 4 today....  But I digress.

My monthly meetings with Melanie and Naomi reflect some of the values of the Church of Craft.  We meet in turns at each others houses to make stuff, primarily jewellery, but we also go off on tangents sometimes and do something different.  Oh.....and we eat cake! These get togethers are so valuable in terms of the fun we have and what we learn from each other that I'm toying with the idea of setting up a proper Church of Craft locally if I can get over the logistics of health and safety, etc.

As well as instilling me the confidence to play with wire again using my new pliers.  Melanie showed  us how to fuse plastic with an iron into sheets that can be used to make all sorts of things. Bags, kites,  blinds, banners and plant pots come to mind but just try sticking 'fusing plastic bags' into Google and you can explore the myriad of nifty uses for this recycled fabric.

And my finished sheet of fabric, made using bubblewrap, abstract cut outs and sequins is at the top of this picture.   I going to use it to make a bag like the one with the fishes on it that Melanie made.  She reckons that these are not super-durable but good enough for a few trips to the shops for lightweight things,

This is so easy-peasy and effective that Louis was inspired to make his own picture with bubble wrap, a black binliner and shiny stars.  Another great activity for kids although please observe the blindingly obvious safety precautions.

2 comments:

  1. Long may we worship at the Church of Craft! What do you think the theme for the next session should be? x

    ReplyDelete
  2. My preference would be to play with wire...maybe learn from you how to do herringbone wrapping? Then it can be my turn to teach you guys something new new time

    ReplyDelete