Sunday, 22 August 2010

Chirpy, Chirpy, Cheep, Cheep

Here's a post that I've been meaning to write for a while but techincal ignorance prevented me from doing so.  Today, though, I've finally grasped the bull by the horns and worked out how to access Mr Lovelygrey's photos on our home network.  Like most of the things that I put off, it wasn't really as difficult as I'd built it up to be in my fluffy little head!

Attracting  birds has become Mr Lovelygrey's forte, the feathered variety of course and not, I hasten to add, the yummy mummies, who are in vast abundance in the school playground with their fledging broods.  The visitors in our garden vary according to season but goldfinches, siskins, great tits and wood pigeons are common all year round and passers by have included fieldfare, blackcaps, redwings, nuthatches and long tailed tits to name a few.  Mr Lovelygrey swears that providing hulled sunflower seeds is the reason why our restaurant for avarians is so popular.  For the short time that they are available the ornamental cherries are a hit too.

However, the dining experience of our cute vegetarian friends can have a macabre twist. Very occasionally they can find themselves on the menu when the sparrowhawk is in town. Allegedly his presence is the sign of a healthy bird population. We have photos of him tucking into the raptor's version of a hungry horse meal, a wood pigeon, but I'll spare you the gory images. Instead I'll let you admire his wonderful plumage in this shot of him perusing the menu!

No comments:

Post a Comment