Monday, 13 September 2010

Just finished reading: A Year in the Merde




The book stall (pay by donation) at the hospital where I work has yielded a few offerings recently and A Year in the Merde is one of them.  Being a bit of a self confessed book snob I would normally have looked this one over as there were no accolades from quality newspapers on the back cover.  But for only a quid it was worth a risk - which I'm glad I took because this was a very entertaining read.

This book, unsurprisingly about the year in the life of an Englishman based in Paris, reads autobiographically.   So, rather gullibly I read two-thirds before the plot got a little too inplausible for real life and it dawned on me that this was a novel.  The descriptions of women are very obviously from a laddy lad point of view and have to be forgiven. Additionally the French, especially Parisians,  are sometimes cast in a very  bad light indeed but I suspect this is based on the real experiences of the author who seems very well versed in the intricacies of the country's life and culture.

I will be popping back to the book stall to see if the donee finishes any more books by Stephen Clarke, which all seem to have a French theme.  Otherwise I'll make use of the reservations service at the library when I fancy another book with laugh out loud moments.

PS:  I also broke my 'quality newspaper' rule for Sheila O' Flanagan's Perfect Man but after reading three pages it's going straight back for some other sucker to waste their money on!

No comments:

Post a Comment