Saturday, 11 September 2010

Organised Chaos

Mr Lovelygreyday sees me as the Imelda Marcos of the bag world.  I, quite reasonably, refute this strongly  because:

a) I only own three bags that are in regular use, my rucksack, a purple string bag  and a tiny bag knobbly cotton knit shoulder bag for evening use which was kindly donated to me by M'selle High Seas, my yachtswoman friend when she downshifted and went to live on her boat.

b) I only buy a bag, which costs no more than £30, about once every two years.  Goodness knows how Mr Lovelygrey's mind would work if he were married to Posh Spice.

I've had my sturdy Victorinox rucksack for about two and a half years now and was seriously contemplating replacing it .  It has many pockets which I thought would make me more organised and stop me losing things in its dark, murky depths.  In fact, the opposite is true.  Things are far more easily misplaced when there's about twenty pockets to throw them into. So I was contemplating buying something with just one compartment, a big sack perhaps?

But just before I indulged in yet another act of consumerism it dawned on me that it wasn't the bag that was at fault but the way that I used it. Of course, chucking possessions into compartments willy-nilly isn't going to result in order. So for the last week, I've been focusing on putting mindfulness principles to practical use, assigned a home to each of my possessions and paid attention of how I put things away. Surprise, surprise the bag now works!

No comments:

Post a Comment