Sunday, 31 October 2010

Days Out in Devon: Rare Breeds Farm

Back from France on yesterday evening's Roscoff-Plymouth Halloween themed ferry! However I'm going to delay divulging some of the things that we did on our lovely holiday. Instead I'll talk about the surprisingly fun day out that Louis and I had today at the Rare Breeds Farm at Totnes on their final opening day of the 2010 season with his friend Abi and her Mum. Any suggestion that there is a romance bond between my son and his fiery female companion is met with emphatic two way denial which must mean that they are destined to be happy ever after.
To be entirely honest that I wasn't completely looking forward to this outing as I'm not usually a big fan of petting themed animal attractions. But Louis had won a family ticket at his Scout group's fete in September so this provided the impetus to visit before the prize expired. I had visions of a day out in autumnal sunniness but I have to say the weather did not match my expectations. But the very good home made soup in the cafe must have warmed the cockles of my heart and even I fussed over a guinea pig and fed the red squirrels in the rain.
One of the things that is great about this award winning attraction is that it is non profit making.  It is staffed  largely by a band of volunteers,  many of whom are secondary school age and are a welcome antidote to the hoodie druggy stereotype of teenagers that many people like to use these days.  It's lovely to find a place where these young people act as positive and caring role models for younger children.   This is Louis the goat who was introduced to his namesake  by one of  these enthusiastic individuals (who incidentally had also learned to handle owls with competence).

The farm provides entertainment for about two hours.  For a full day out how about a  return steam train trip from Buckfastleigh and incorporating exploring Totnes and  Buckfast Abbey at each end of the railway?

No comments:

Post a Comment