Thursday, 11 November 2010

Die reën in Spanje val hoofsaaklik op die Plain

My esteemed colleague, the Master of Love, is Afrikaans and is soon to return to his sunny, wine laden homeland.  He's a voracious Facebook addict and once he's back with his kith and kin I am afraid that he might forget English altogether and my newsfeed will be clogged up with incomprehensible dialogue between himself and his fellow countrymen.  I needed a plan to foil his code  and that's how I discovered Google Translate.  Forgive me if I'm way behind the times and sharing something which is passe to most.  There are times, I'll admit, when I catch onto things just as they're nearing their sell by date.  After all, I live in Devon.

I've tried out some longish messages translated into Afrikaans and was delighted that I could be understood.  To give you an idea of the power of this tool, I'll let you try out cutting and pasting the following phrases from different languages into the application.

Het jy 'n mens griep of' n hamster allergie  (Afrikaans)

Ge mig en halvliter av dina finaste öl och ett paket fläsk scratchings (Swedish)

میرا کتا نہیں ناک ہے! کیا تو اس نے خوشبو کیسی ہے؟ بیکار!  (Urdu)


Yr wyf ynA allech chi gymryd y cennin allan o fy cawl os gwelwch yn dda?  (Welsh)

Whilst the translations back to English are not always perfect, you can generally get the idea.  So, go forth and enjoy your new found freedom to communicate internationally without those pesky language barriers.  And as Eddie Izzard said 'Le singe est dans l'arbre'!

1 comment:

  1. I use it all the time to help me write emails etc. Would be lost without it. It is not perfect and if you ask a French person what they thought about the email they tend to say that they did understand it but it wasn't really French!!
    Sue

    ReplyDelete