Saturday, 20 November 2010

Funky Fifties Frogs

I haven't retained a lot of stuff from childhood.  My liking for tat at that stage in my life has got something to do with that.  Not a lot was worth saving into my adult life.  Somehow even Nicholas, my beloved gnarled and raggeddy childhood bear, was lost on route

But I do love these frogs that have followed me around for a long time.  I recall, at one time they may have been perched at either end of the pelmet above the curtains in my garish 1970s bedroom.  I've reunited them now and  they've benefitted from each other's company and surprisingly, given my propensity for clumsiness,  have remained a pair.


I've no idea where these stylised amphibians came from.  Originally, they were Grandmama Lovelygrey's  and I would imagine from their shape and style that they were manufactured in the 1950s.  There's a maker's mark on the bottom of each but it's not very clear.  If anyone, say a member of the Antiques Roadshow team, knows their origin and passes this post , I'd love to know.  Of course,  they hold great sentimental value and I wouldn't ever part with them...unless the sum offered paid off the mortgage in which case all  those feelings of mushiness could go to the wind!

No comments:

Post a Comment