Sunday, 14 November 2010

Real Men Eat Quiche (and Whatever Else They Blooming Well Like!)


Behold my quiche, beloved of the Lovelygrey boys.  It comes in several different varieties depending on what's in the fridge but today's version contained smoked salmon and a mixture of vegetables - PSB impulsively bought on the veg stall at Trago Mills, onion, leeks and a red pepper sneaked in when Louis wasn't looking.

The basis of my recipe is this Chard and Cheddar Tart from Nigel Slater which is good in its own right    I've kept the cheddar in the pastry and in the egg custard filling, also using parmesan to replace the pecorino in the original version. Who says that cheese and seafood don't go? Sometimes I recall that people are pleasantly surprised with this combination on cookery programmes.

There's an added bonus to this recipe. The leftover cheesy pastry can be used to make a type of cheese straw. I just roll the pastry remains into a rough rectangle and cut it into finger-ish pieces.  There's no precision here.  It's all very rustic.  Once the straws are on a  greased baking sheet I season them with salt, pepper and chilli flakes, grating over a little parmesan to enhance their cheesiness further. These go in the oven at the same time as the quiche for about 15 minutes and are always wolfed down by the boys immediatiely they are cooked!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I just wanted to say thank you for posting this recipe and the link to the original. I made it today for dinner and it was delicious! I had some smoked trout that needed using up so I put it on the bottom along with some chard from the garden. Mel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like it. You've reminded me that I haven't made this for a while. Now there's an idea! x

    ReplyDelete