Monday, 13 December 2010

K.I.S.S. under the Mistletoe

As mistletoe is parasitic it could be used to construct an apt metaphor for some of those people and corporations  who want to leech us dry over Christmas.  There's been a couple of posts from me already about the festive season and, I daresay,  a few more to come but my blog is not overwhelmed with details of complex preparation because, at this time of the year,  I like to stick with the acronym Keep It Simple Stupid!

Don't get me wrong I'm not completely bah humbug.  I still have a Christmas card list, Louis is avidly tucking into chocolates from his advent calendar and some crafting action is planned.  But, wherever possible,  I want to cut corners and  avoid undue stress and pressure at a time of year that is meant to be enjoyable.

The house will be full of family for two days and we intend to have a good time with them and prepare lots of lovely homemade  food. There will be warming drinks and I reckon it will be a good time to crack open the blackberry vodka and the 2009 vintage sloe gin!  But gift giving has been pared down to the bare minimum.  Other than Louis' presents, Mr Lovelygrey and I swap gifits and then there's a few books for some of the children that we know.  I'm not a great one for decking the halls with bowers of holly, tinsel and a thousand light up reindeer either and especially abhor the idea of following a short lived decoration trend. Our tree is artificial and will serve us for many years to come.   It is decorated with tiny trinkets, many of which have been bought or made over the years.

If you're the type of person who loves excessive frippery at this time of year and love spending lots of time and effort preparing for the holiday I heartily applaud you.  But to those of you who find it all a bit of a chore, and an expensive one at that, I urge you to reevaluate what you do at this time of year in order that the joy might be brought back into your Noel.

1 comment:

  1. I do agree with you, this year more than ever. It has always been my youngest son that has nagged about getting the treee and the deccies out. this year he is not interested - being the grand old age of 16, therefore nothis is done yet. I suppose I will root out the tree and bits next weekend!!

    ReplyDelete