Monday, 6 December 2010

One Hundred!

The Lovelygrey study has a post burglary air about it.  But fear not, I have not been robbed.  It's just that I've trying to do 50,000 things at once and my little hideaway is a metaphor for my brain at the moment.  Something had to be done to preserve order and indeed my sanity.   My three minute tidy would have only made tiny inroads into this mess and have been barely noticeable So, I set myself a different challenge.  What would my room look like if I picked up 100 things and either threw them away or restored them to their rightful home?


Twenty minutes later, this was the result.  If you were to look carefully you would see that a few things are still out of place.  There's still clothes awaiting mending on top of my bead box and  the thing on the edge of the desk is an empty PMC syringe! However,  it's a vast improvement on the bombsite that greeted me this morning and the final, more manageable surge of tidying  followed by dusting and hoovering took only a few minutes.

It's an prime example of how breaking a task down into manageable chunks, albeit mentally, can take away feelings of being overwhelmed and daunted. I've used this method in the past to tackle even bigger jobs such as a six year accumulation of stuff in the loft at our former home.

And with a clearer space around me my head is less woolly too and I am now able to surge forward with Christmas planning, now I can find the presents, cards and wrapping paper again!

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like a good idea. I have never heard of that before. I will try it very soon

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sue - I forgot to say that for really big jobs it's good to schedule in a treat after each 100 things cleared!

    ReplyDelete