Saturday, 15 January 2011

Passport Control

Today the Lovelygrey family are off on a special holiday for two weeks and I'll disclose our destination when we've finally arrived at our first port of call.  But in the meantime, if we're delayed, I've scheduled posts ahead for your literary pleasure!!!

I have owned a much loved document wallet for many years, a free gift from Brittany Ferries, a company that's on my favourites list because of the exceptional and thoughtful service that its staff provide.   But alas, I left it on the aeroplane on my recent girlie weekend away to Edinburgh so needed a replacement pronto.

Back in May, my friend Melanie taught me how to make a reinforced plastic fabric by ironing bubble wrap.  The sheet that I produced has been hanging around in my study cum workshop since then, awaiting a potential use.   I decided to use it to produce a new carrier for all those essential bits of paper that I need for going away.

And here's the less than perfect finished result  made in under an hour which nevertheless will be adequate for purpose over the next fortnight.  I edged it with recycled ribbon from a fudge box in order to produce a totally cost free product which has ended up looking a little bit scrappy.  But no matter, it serves as a prototype and will survive for the duration of our long awaited trip.  When we return  from our travels there is enough of the sheeting to make Mark II where I'll dig out another wider piece of free ribbon.  I guarantee this will give it a more polished finish!

2 comments:

  1. i HOPE YOU HAVE A LOVELY HOLIDAY AND LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING ALL ABOUT YOUR TRIP
    SUE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, how exciting, a mystery, can't wait to find out where you are going.

    Love the idea of fusing bubble wrap, might have a go at that. Your wallet looks lovely, hand made is much better.

    ReplyDelete