Friday, 11 February 2011

Ray of Sunshine

I  was brought up in sunny Southend-on-Sea, the haunt of daytrippers from London.  Not the most picturesque spot, I'll admit, with its brash amusement arcades and views over to the oil refineries on the Isle of Sheppey.  But hey, there are worse places to grow up and early life in a coastal environment may have imbibed me with a love of  marine and nautical imagery.  I like lizards too but haven't got a clue where that came from as I didn't spot many of those during my Essex childhood.

Although I appreciate it when someone's used a beautiful bog standard fish or cetacean to good effect to inspire a piece of work, I'm particularly thrilled when I find an artist or craftsperson scoured the annuls of relative obscurity and used a less well used creature as a design source.   Figuratively I tripped over a large bronze skate the other day, a creation by Devon based sculptor  Steve Baddeley that definitely comes into this category and I'll be thinking about how these beautiful creatures may feature in a piece of my own craftwork some time in the dim, distant future.

No comments:

Post a Comment