Monday, 7 March 2011

Days Out in Somerset: Absent Mother in Martock!

Sometimes I abdicate my childcare duties temporarily and let Mr Lovelygrey take over.   Louis is okay with this as long as I return with chocolate!  At the weekend  Melanie bundled me into her car and helped me escape  to Kay's child-free haven in Somerset, an idyll that guarantees that you won't hurt your feet treading on Lego.

Our plan was to visit the small historic city of Wells, but first there was a drive through some of the villages to the north of Yeovil, a part of Somerset that was completely unfamiliar to me.  What a revelation! This is a beautiful spot, a veritable rural paradise with beautiful buildings made from local yellow-ish Ham Stone.  Just as pretty as the Cotswolds but without the hords of tourists.

First stop the village of  Hurst. Yandles, a sawmill and timber yard  has diversified, rather successfully  to include a craft shop, the 303 gallery displaying this clever wirework barn owl and a coffee shop.  All of these additions must have been a ploy to keep the ladies happy whilst their roughie-toughie menfolks buy wood!   Although my girls were tempted to hand over cash in the craft gallery, my purse remained firmly in my pocket. I took plenty of photos though, to inspire future makes.

The same village was also home to the studio of a stone carver Tom Clark complete with a garden and gallery full of his work.  I particularly liked the pieces where he'd coupled slate and lighter coloured stone like this leaf and the amazing doorway below.  The girls are definitely coming back here because Tom runs weekend courses where beginners can produce a piece of their own.  What could I make?  Maybe my own tiny version of the Cerne Abbas giant for my own soon to be madeover garden?

It's amazing how much we packed into a mini-break away that lasted just over twenty four hours!  In fact I've so much to write about and show off that I think I'll save it for some future posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment