Wednesday, 30 March 2011

The Borrowers

Today's wonderful  picture has been 'borrowed' from the blog of  illustrator, Marika McCoola,  and was found when I performed a  search for today's title on Google images.  Now these little people had an unusual take on the word 'borrow'.  What they essentially did was 'nick' stuff from the homes that they inhabited.  So if you've lost a few bits and pieces that could fit through a mousehole sized gap you might be harbouring these pesky beasties.  Alternatively, if you live with an seven year old child, search  anything in their room  that might be construed to be a treasure chest.  That's where I find most of my missing beads.

But done properly borrowing stuff has lots of advantages. Preparations were underway for Louis' birthday bash and I needed a tin big enough to create 'the cake'.   Instead of flashing the cash and ending up with a rarely used piece of kit that would have unnecessarily taken up cupboard space I asked around.  My kindly work colleague, Buxom Brenda, came up with the goods. I've a pile of beading magazines on loan from Melanie and Naomi has recently  lent me a swaging block.  Look that word up  if I've stumped you.  You have my absolute solemn  promise that it's not something offensive or weird!

Give and take is needed when following this philosophy  You have to be steel yourself, get into the spirit and part with some of  your own stuff on a temporary basis too.  My favourite wire wrapping book went away on holiday recently,  tools are often out on temporary loan to fellow classmates  and  the girls used my tent at the Chagstock festival last summer.  After all, I was in the motorhome and didn't need it to sleep in myself.

There's a saying 'Never a lender or borrower be'.   You probably need to be choosy when engaging in these mutual arrangements for them to work well.  Avoiding people with nicknames like Butterfingers Bertie and Thieving Tom is a good start.  It's also best to shy away from lending stuff to anyone where there's a general consensus that 'they'd sell their own grandmother'!  And you have to play your part by take care of others people's stuff and returning  it safely and in a timely manner when you're on the other end of the deal.  This way of sharing possessions takes a bit of trust but isn't it good to build this between friends and reduce our levels of consumption in the process?

No comments:

Post a Comment