Tuesday, 8 March 2011

Days Out in Somerset:: Well Well Wells

Behold my favourite cathedral, an accolade that's largely down to those scissor arches.  It's been a long time since I visited Wells, twenty five years in fact. Those curves catch the eye so tantilisingly still take my breath away!

The girls and I merely 'popped' into this sacred place on our roadtrip to Wells. We could have stayed longer as we'd have liked, but we were confused about how long we had left on the parking meter and sadly rushed away prematurely.  Still, I'll be back.  I'd love to catch evensong again as I did on my first visit.

Browsing in shops is something that I rarely do.  It can be a dangerous activity because I fall in love unexpectedly with consumer goods that are better left undiscovered.  But Wells is chock full of beautiful independent stores, like Bella Beads where I persuaded the girls to spend, spend, spend much to the delight of the friendly owner whilst keeping my own purse firmly in my pocket! As befits an affluent country town there's lots of well stocked charity shops.  The market, held on Wednesdays and Saturdays, was a great bonus and I found a great bookstall with paperbacks at just one pound each.  How the affable stallholder makes enough to live on at that price I'll never know!

Other than more books, some fairtrade earring that are ripe for conversion into something more fanciful and a hand embroidered tablecloth I came away relatively unscathed.  And although we all admired these soft fluffy boots in the wonderful Basil Powell Shoes  they didn't steal my heart away and cause Pink Coat Syndrome all over again!

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful cathedral. Wells is definitely on my must visit soon list!

    Shirl x

    ReplyDelete