Thursday, 17 March 2011

First Laugh of the Day

My work involves brushing up against human tragedy on a regular basis.  Sometimes in dementia care you're presenting people with choices but none of them are pleasant.  Continuing to struggle on with  keeping a relative at home who's doubly incontinent and aggressive or deciding to put them into residential care even though there's been a promise made that it would never happen?  If I carried  that stuff around in the head at the end of a busy day I might be in a right state.   So I dump it at the door of my office ready to be sorted out the next day.  Easier said than done?  It's taken practice but I'm finally getting there.

One of the ways I do so is by watching and reading stuff that portrays the sadder aspects of human existence.  Don't get me wrong, I keep abreast of current affairs and in a very small way, try to make the world a better place by giving and volunteering.  But I avoid hospital dramas, documentaries that have an air of despair or negativity and repeated coverage of disasterous events.

Laughter is one of the ways that I remain strong. It's like an emotional workout.  Maybe this makes up for physical exertion being woefully thin on the ground at the current time!  At the risk of being accused of eulogising fellow bloggers for two days on the trot,  I am today turning my attention to Tracey and her Crafty Snaps .  Please visit her via my sidebar if you haven't done so before.  She posts unfeasibly early in the morning so often appears at the top of my blogs list when I get up.  As such she nearly always provides my first piece of laugh out loud humour each day.  Tracey,  you talk about the problems that you contend with  but for your ability to maintain a sense of  humour when life is chucking out lemons, I salute you.

However, yesterday's first giggle  was provided by an Ebay post that was brought to my attention by Naomi.  Please click on this link which I hope will not disappoint.  Tracey,  I'm sure you'll like it so think of this as my gift to you.  And to all else out there,  if you're flush with cash, in the market for two wetsuits AND a towel to cover your jubblies, think of making a humongous bid!


3 comments:

  1. Just found your blog through Tracey's! What a great link - thanks! I like his style - wonder if he blogs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw shucks! Glad I can be a small help! LOL!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally following you back. I look forward to reading more of your posts....but I have just painted my nails lime green (my fave color to match my shirt) and am heading out to watch my grandsons walk in the parade and then to book club. I know...more than you needed to know. your job must be very difficult and heartbreaking at times...glad Tracey cheers you up!

    ReplyDelete