Tuesday, 22 March 2011

Hull-o!

Oh what a terrible title but I wanted a tenuous link to yesterdays post that also refers to the name of a yet unvisited city!  My research to write today's offering has been as extensive as it's got so far. It started when my interest was sparked by an episode of the 'Antiques Roadshow', Dartmouth 1 in fact.  Although my telly viewing has diminished somewhat in the last year due to all this blogging and crafting, I purposely caught this programme as I wanted to see if anyone I knew was grinning inanely at the camera (they weren't!).  My attention was caught though by a collection of textiles and design drawings, although not enough to remember the artist's name.  I  decided to find out a bit more about him a couple of weeks after the programme was first aired.  It was then the fun started.

Unfairly I started to lose it with the BBC.  Although the episode was due for re-scheduling on the i-Player after an episode was repeated there seemed to be a techincal glitch.  I was directed to a message board to ask the question but my conversation was terminated prematurely after an adjucator decided my question had been answered by someone telling me to watch the episode on the i-Player.  Grrrr!  In the end I managed to view it with just a days  to spare.  In the meantime the 'Antique Roadshow' research team answered my question too.   Licence fee well spent!

Anyway back to the point at last. The name that eluded me was Robert Tierney and the design at the top of the post which is currently available as a Cole and Son wallpaper is one of his.  At least I think it is. I can't find the link where I found this valuable scrap of information anymore!  How's that for meticulous research methodology?  He also produced work for other companies, including, wait for it .......'Hull Traders!' But the  Hull referred to here is the name of the company's founder rather than the city.

I  have always loved textiles from the mid-twentieth century and am not just jumping on the bandwagon because they're super trendy at the moment.   There seems to be very little of Robert Tierney's work in the public domain at the moment although I've had a lovely time during my research journey lusting after the work of other artist from this period.   I hope that his family who were the major benefactors of his estate will take the roadshow expert's advice and work out how to make his designs more widely known.    Please, please, please let their first move be an exhibition in the local area!

No comments:

Post a Comment