Sunday, 24 April 2011

Back to Sea

Some girls get excited about shoes and bags but for me there's few things finer than receiving delivery of packs of sheet metal and wire!  There was an exemption clause in my 'buy no new craft materials' rule whereby I allowed myself to buy stuff for course related projects.  So whoopee! I spent a pleasant evening internet shopping and  the fruits of my labours:  fine silver sheet, brass rings, wire and, finally, copper clay.  This is a new medium for me to try that's a lot cheaper than its precious metal counterparts.

Lizzie's latest course is only five sessions long so I've got to look sharp this time.  No dawdling like I did on the last twenty week offering.  Then it seemed like I had all the time in the world, as the great Louis Armstrong sung, but ended up with a mad rush to come up with the goods in the last month.  This one will be over in the blink of an eye so I'm raring to go and make another sea themed creation incorporating different types of metal and for the first time, enamelling.  I've been inspired to try this by the work of others who've allowed me to look at this medium, which I used to think of as a bit fusty,  in a new light.  I've written about the work of Sarah Hemmings Vourda and Janine Partington recently but check out the zany stuff made by Joy Funnell too.  

So here's my inspiration for a pendants fit for salty seafarer!   I hope that my piece can be done and dusted in no time at all as I arrive home from my continental wanderings today. Considering there's a couple of new techniques that I want to try and I want to see if I'm up to making another piece that I think may have a chance of being displayed at Bovey Tracey's Contemporary Craft Fair in June  I'd best get cracking!

No comments:

Post a Comment