Monday, 4 April 2011

Just Finished Reading: Brick Lane


I've got a bit annoyed with Amazon Affiliates in the process of writing this post.  I use them to get images for books that I review.  Supposedly if anyone ever clicked through on a link and bought something I'd get some money but it's never happened.  Today I only seem to be able to download an image of this book if it is displayed with Amazon advertising so I've had to resort to Google images for a picture of this dustcover instead.  Little things sent to try us eh?  Anyway if you ever want to donate towards keeping Lovelygrey living in the manner that she deserves(!) instead of buying a book from a charity shop or borrowing it from a friend or the library, just click on the link in the text instead to buy the book. It's never happened yet so it looks like I'm going to have to find another way to make my fortune!

Brick Lane (yes, it's one of those links!)served as a reminder that my own lifestyle in Britain is in no way typical of the way that many of my fellow citizens live. It tells the story of an immigrant's life in the East End of London after a move from Bangladesh for her arranged marriage.  It's an area of the country most of my immediate family know well. Nearby is where my father was brought up, my brother worked in a big artshop and Mr Lovelygrey ate in the restaurants in the vicinity when he lived in London.  Yet it's somewhere that I've never been and is such a different cultural landscape to rural Devon.  It's good to keep in mind that the experience of others can be so different from our own.

I loved this book.  It offered wonderful characterisation, a gripping story and acute observations about life and love.   Now I'm just left pondering about whether to catch the film.  Will it transport me back to the story that I've just read or leave me puzzled and disappointed?

1 comment:

  1. Funnily enough, I've just finished re-reading Brick Lane too and would like to watch the film again now as well - I've only seen it once, a few years ago.

    IIRC, the film looks very pretty but because it's over a shorter time period, the characters felt a bit flatter. That's not to say it wasn't still enjoyable; the actress playing Nazneen does coy & love-struck very well and the girls who play the daughters have marvellous chemistry with each other & their mother. Certain scenes stick with me now because they felt so natural.

    ReplyDelete