Wednesday, 11 May 2011

The Back Burner

Did I mention that I wanted to try printmaking yesterday?  Whoa, there sunshine!  Isn't there enough going on in my life at the moment?  With plenty of unfinished craft projects lying around and the calendar for the summer is already laden with festivals, courses and other lovely things to do it seems to wise to curb those wild fancies.

At least once a day I find myself thinking, 'Oh! I'd like to have a go at that'.  Thankfully, most of the time these notions flit through my brain transiently and I forget about them quickly afterwards.  There just not enough hours in the day to act on each passing fancy and it's a good thing that I don't.  My body would be a frazzled wreck and my brain would explode through excess activity.  I believe this to be a scientific fact.

Some of those ideas hang around or return with sufficient frequency that they're harder to get rid of.  Dinghy sailing, making chocolates,  learning to play the piano,  researching my family tree,  creating big pieces of sculpture, setting up a local Church of Craft,  investigating our village's twinning arrangings with a commune in Brittany all pop up. This is on top of my travel wishlist which is so extensive that it deserves a future post all of its own.  And of course there's that novel that everyone has inside them.  But to avoid creating stress in my leisure time I'm creating a back burner, a list of things that I haven't got the capacity to do at the current time.  It looks like I'm sure going to be busy in retirement!

3 comments:

  1. I like that idea.
    I made a list of all the things I want to do this year. It hasn't moved yet!!
    You have got me very interested in silver jewellery making, but there are no courses over here. they don't do evening classes in france!!
    I am going to talk to the silver jeweller in Loches to see if he can help me with some advice.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Learning how to screenprint was one of my goals for the year - was great fun when I finally tried it. Not sure it'll become a major hobby - what with all the equipment needed and the faff - but is a fun once in a while thing, so I'd definitely recommend giving it a go ... once you have some brain space!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always fancied chocolate making too. I know it looks a faff but would love to give them as presents. Anything handmade is always so much more special.

    ReplyDelete