Tuesday, 24 May 2011

The Silent Realm of Lovelygrey

No, this is not to illustrate how the shadow of a hand might be made to miraculously project like some or other beastie on the wall.  It's sign language for the letter 'T' (or so Microsoft tells me).  I might well need to learn this so that others can communicate with me and see if I want a brew.  Hearing loss has been creeping up since I had the lurgy a week ago and I'm now nearly deaf as a post.

It's not the first time I've been plunged into my near silent world. My ears got well and truly bunged up during pregnancy.  That had something to do with fluid retention which also saw me put on a hefty five stone whilst carrying a very average sized baby.  Marks and Spencer didn't make a maternity bra large enough and in my medical charts on the labour ward some cheeky blighter messed with my weight chart,  crossed out that I was overweight and classified me as obese instead!  Luckily the liquid that I'd been carrying around somehow drained at an alarming rate after labour - an impressive two stone reduction in the first two weeks of Louis' life and then the rest trickled away whilst I was on maternity leave.  My hearing came back  almost immediately only to disappear again last year because of my infection.

To a certain extent I perversely enjoy my peaceful cocoon.  I'm in a place where there's little audible distraction from the outside world.  As two way conversation is difficult I talk less so in a way, it's like being on a mini retreat.  But of course there are the disadvantages.  I can hear one person speaking clearly if they are facing me  in a quiet room but any background noise scuppers my understanding.  When I do speak I'm not sure if I'm too loud or too soft.  And there's a bit of intolerance and incomprehension to deal with too.

But another good thing comes out of health setbacks.  They give me a tool whereby I can empathise with others and increase my understanding of what it's like to be in their shoes,  probably an excellent lesson for someone who makes their living from therapy.  And I also learn to appreciate more and more how lucky I am that my difficulties are just transient and that good health and the ability to function on all levels  are very valuable gifts that shouldn't be taken for granted.

3 comments:

  1. I can sense people's annoyance when I speak too loud, my sister tells me not to shout. I don't know I am shouting because I cannot hear myself very well. I am almost deaf in one ear, and couldn't manage without a hearing aid. People who are not deaf cannot imagine what it is like. Good luck with your sign language learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you might find that is t in american sign language! Most of our letter signs are made with both hands. Kind regards
    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  3. D'you know I thought that 'T' looked a little odd Sally. English Sign Language must be engrained somewhere in my distant memory.

    ReplyDelete