Thursday, 5 May 2011

Thought for the Day:Yes or No

I'm a stickler for casting my vote as many of our ancestors fought for our right to exercise this power. Indeed some of them lost their lives in the process.  So the postal forms have been sent back to be counted after the polling booths close tonight.  But am  I the only one who's less than overwhelmed by today's local council elections? 

I live in a rural part of Southern England so it almost goes without saying that the Tories would win around here even if their representative were a dead farm animal.  In these penny pinching days most other parties don't field candidates and there was only the choice of voting Conservative or Liberal Democrat in our constituency.  Silly me, there I was thinking that they were the same beastie these days.

So even though I don't really understand AV, and lets face it you have to be a genius to do so, I've voted Yes.  It's my hope that it will provide the incentive for other parties to start fielding candidates again and give us folk a decent level of choice in the electoral process.  And if the influence of the Monster Raving Loony Party is increased as a result, so be it.  It might just  be just the shake up that the UK political system needs!

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you regarding the vote. I always vote and believe that everyone should. I find it laughable when people moan but then go on to say they didnt bother voting. I always take my young daughter with me as well.

    ReplyDelete