Sunday, 5 June 2011

The Mother in Law

'I can always tell when the mother in law's coming to stay; the mice throw themselves on the traps.'  Thus said the late, questinably great comedian, Les Dawson pictured here on the left in his guise as  Ada Shufflebotham.  Ah! those politically incorrect days of my childhood where no-one batted an eyelid at  the now shocking racism and sexism in programmes like 'On the Buses' and many looked on Alf Garnet as a modern day hero rather than a parody of prejudice.

This weekend, we're at the home of my mother in law in Somerset  and I am pleased to say that this lovely lady does not live up to her stereotype.  She's kind, generous and comes equal first in the world's best pastry and pudding chef with Mama Lovelygrey, my own mum.  Friday night's chicken and ham pie and fruit crumble were definitely to die for!   Perhaps this problem with family relationships is more of a male thing?

Nana Lovelygrey has excelled herself this time and in support of my new tiny business venture, has dug out a box of old jewellery bits and pieces. Many are broken  and the beads and findings are stored in an old wedding cake box that goes some way towards providing their 'vintage' provenance.   There are, however, a few pieces that just need a quick touch up including  a funky beaded collar that would make some hippy chick a happy girl.  I just feel that it deserves a classier catch rather than its existing hook and eye.

One old necklace posed a moral dilemma.  How do I recycle coral, a  material that I'm so uncomfortable with that I've entered into a pact with Red Melanie to stop her using it?  There's often no concrete answer in a grey world but I think I've come up with a solution that won't cause sleepless nights.  I'm going to mend the piece with a lovely silver clasp and then donate it to a Heart Foundation shop as this charity is one that I know Nana Lovelygrey supports.

No comments:

Post a Comment