Tuesday, 5 July 2011

At Long Last.....A Corker: Part II

I cannot believe that it's a year that I coveted the cork bathmat featured on the Craftynest website.  The progress in making my own version was slowed by a lack of raw materials.  But my boozy friends have done me proud, and spurred on by the disintergration of the blue cotton rug in our shower room, I spent a productive day yesterday crafting a replacement.   In addition to two badly cut fingers from cork halving and burns from hot adhesive, this is the result.  Total cost about £2,000,  if you take into account all the wine consumed.  However if this is taken out of the equation, the glue sticks, backing materials and plasters(!) come to a much more reasonable fiver or so.  Not bad for an original design that's also feels lovely to walk on.  I'll report back on its durability in a later post.

What I hadn't noticed before I embarked on this project is just how varied the designs on corks are.  I must have ignored them in my haste to get at the good stuff inside the bottles that they stopper.  But there's a plethora of illustrations, lettering and emblems.  The colours differ too and this has contributed to the patchwork effect of the finished mat.

Although the original 'recipe' calls for real corks, I reckon that the plastic variety would lend themselves to the same use.   This recycling idea could  be used  to create a variety of 2D and 3D designs.  Think pinboards, natural look containers and wall art and give this cheap and effective alternative to mosaic a go!

4 comments:

  1. Most impressive! As you say, all the different colours and details make it so interesting. My step-daughter makes noticeboards like that (within a frame) - next project perhaps, to give one an excuse to carry on enjoying the old vino!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab! I saw the idea last year too and would love to make one - but we don't buy wine and our friends tend to drink screw top wine - useful for our homebrew, less useful for this! Am very interested to see how it wears - rarely get 'x months on' feedback for recycling projects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks good but I am surprised you have glued them together and would be interested to know how long it lasts before falling apart. Also the effects of water on it when you are dripping all over it, won't the cork expand and contract? Would it be possible to get a large needle threaded with string and stitch it together?

    I don't think I would be able to make it due to lack of corks, but I suppose I could go knocking on doors asking. There are plenty of empty wine bottles in the recycling boxes round here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Meanqueen - have thought of all these pitfalls myself which is why I've raise questions about durability. But the sewing them together - now there's an idea I might try for version 2.

    ReplyDelete