Thursday, 28 July 2011

My Very Own 'Slut Walk'

Now I've been trying to do some research on the topic of women keeping safe when out and about alone in the countryside and come to a bit of a standstill.  Most of the advice that I've found gives precautions to take when walking around towns and cities, especially at night, ranging from the very sensible to downright overkill.   But for short jaunts in the country - well the online handy hints simply don't cut the mustard.  After all, there are no gangs, hoodlums or alleyways arouund here - are there?

Of course, there are the occasional violent attacks in rural areas but I'm happy that the stats are in my favour.  So I  love to go out on my own personal 'slut walks' and I don't even have a faithful mutt to protect me.  Okay, I'm not strutting my funky stuff, dressed in my sequinned bra and mini-skirt.  Leggings and a tunic are more my style but I like to think that, with my scantily clad sisters,  I'm reclaiming the right to be alone when I want to.  Happily, Mr Lovelygrey is not the worrying kind and supports me in my endeavours.

So, here are a couple of shots from my lone wanderings yesterday in the grandiosely named  Great Plantation nearby our home. The 18 mile Templer Way from Haytor to Teignmouth passes through here and this picture made a change from all the tree pictures that I snapped.   This area is a smallish patch of  mixed woodland  that, according to local legend, was considered for a transformation into a holiday destination by Centre Parcs some years ago.  Now when I see adverts for their  places I imagine roaming around on my bike in a verdant tree lined landscape the size of the New Forest, not a half mile strip of land sandwiched between a couple of roads.  Perhaps my imagination has run away with me.

Anyway the Forestry Commission managed plantation is one of a few local spots that I favour for a car free stroll.  And the precautions that I take? I  vary my routes, carry my mobile and keep my wits about me.  No real need for attack alarms or pepper sprays.  I'd just scare the squirrels witless!

No comments:

Post a Comment