Saturday, 6 August 2011

Art is All Around

For the last two weeks  part of my daily routine whilst off work sick has been dropping off Louis at his excellent holiday club  FISH that's run at the school in the nearby village of Chudleigh.  And yes,  an adulterated version of this placename  is in the Harry Potter novels!  I might have mentioned before that JK Rowling was my best-est  mate ever when we were at Exeter University together.  Click this link to let me explain!

Anyway back to childcare.  This was pre-booked before I knew that I was going to be home for the summer holiday.  Funnily enough I didn't plan my sick leave!  To be honest though,  it's been a blessing that responsibilty has been taken away from me at this time.  Just managing myself is a challenge at the moment without having to think about keeping an energetic eight year old sufficiently entertained.  One of the things that I like about this particular club is that there's a high ratio of young male staff who act as brilliant role models for Louis and don't run out of steam nearly as quickly as I do.  Keep up the good work guys!

Where's this going?  Well, I'm just showing  these lovely mosaics that are in the grounds of the school.    They're the results of a community project organised the artist Chinks Grylls.  'Hang on.' you may be thinking, 'Must be the offspring of someone with a penchant for giving their children silly names and could well be a sister for Bear'.  Alas, like me, you'd be wrong.   According to Wikipedia,  Bear Grylls legally changed his own name from Edward and has a sister with the comparatively sensible and pretty name, Lara.  He has however, tried the condition the tradition that he started by christening two of his kids, Marmaduke and Huckleberry. 

Oh! and the mosaics.  Not much to say except  it's nice to stumble across artistic endeavours when going about your daily life.  So thanks Chinks and the crew, who made them back in the 1990s.  I'm sure you'll be pleased to know that they still brighten up someone's day.

No comments:

Post a Comment