Thursday, 22 September 2011

Art in Adversity

Yabba dabba doo! It's taken  all day, with many an outpouring of fish-wifey expletives, but I've finally worked out how to get round the significant problems that I've been having with uploading pictures to my blog.  What I want to post about today undeniably needs illustrating to make it work.  Happily, the gremlins are now under control and I've sussed it.  As a bonus,  I've started to get to grips with Google Picassa, something that's on my 419 item To Do List.

Now, at school I didn't choose history as one of my O-Level options.  It's not that I was interested in the past, or 'Olden Days' as Louis sweetly puts it, but the teaching emphasised battles tactics, treaties and other boring stuff  Now, if we'd have concentrated a bit more on the everyday lives of our ancestors, I might have perked up a bit.  Even in my adolescent years occasional things other than music and boys sparked my interest.

At the moment I'm nurturing a fledgling interest in antiques.  Nothing fancy mind.  I'm not lusting after Faberge eggs or coveting my neighbours Louis XV furniture.  What I'm interested in are the more ordinary yet beautiful objects that give me an insight into the world of an individual or a group of people from the past.

Now as part of my bedrest I've been making a lot of use of the i-player on my computer and watching shedloads of those daytime antiques programmes.  These are questionnably furthering my education.   Now I know more about Worcester porcelain (yuk!),  Whitefriars glass (50:50) and  Newlyn copper (to die for!) than I did a couple of months ago.  A couple of programmes over the last week or so have discussed examples of trench art, objects manufactured by POWs or combatants  during periods of armed conflict.  The most well known examples were made by World War I troops during periods of stalemate in the trenches but the practice has been going on since Napoleonic times and continues today.  Many of the objects are made from recycled material such as shell cases found on the battlefield and their quality varies from the 'must try harder' category to pieces that exhibit true craftsmanship executed under the most atrocious circumstances.   Follow the fascinating link if , like me, you want to find out more and for those who 'need' to own little inexpensive piece of fascinating history of their own, there's plenty to choose from on Ebay.

1 comment:

  1. There are some lovely example of things made by POW at Eden Camp in Yorkshire. We have visted a few times - it's a fascinating day out.

    ReplyDelete