Friday, 16 September 2011

Bed Bound Mother Theresa

No pictures in version one of this post due to a Flintstones era model of the Internet at the hospital which is my temporary home from home again! There's a few exaggerations too in the title.  I'm not confined to my mattress.  In fact I have the exercise levels of a honed athlete compared to my other companions on the ward who've all fractured their hips.  Neither have I achieved the saintly level of behaviour, demeanour and thoughts that I would assume that the Catholic church would expect from someone they are considering for beatification.  My sense of humour is too filthy and there are occasional acts of enjoyable naughtiness, well, those cardinals on the voting committee would be throwing their hands up in horror!

All in all though, I try, like most people, to be kind and considerate but when you're ill, it's very easy to get wrapped up in yourself.  When mental or physical reserves are really depleted this is an entirely appropriate response. The really poorly just have to look after number one as there is no spare va va voom to give up for others. Happily, I'm not in that category.  ln spite of limits to what I can do at the moment, I decided that doing something for others would give my sense of self-worth a bit of a lift too.  It seemed like a win-win situation.

So, I've made use of the Internet and sent off some emails in response to Amnesty International campaign requests. The other thing that I did was to go on a shopping spree using my hard earned savings!  I can see how this statement might cause eyebrows to raise. But fear not, I haven't worked out an argument for why an almighty act of prolific consumerism could possibly count as altruism. Instead I've 'raided' my Charities Aid Foundation account which I contribute to monthly and made some donations.

The reason that I decided to write this post was to publicise a less well known charity who got a few pennies from methat I heard of on the Radio 4 appeal the other week.  Chance UK works with  children who are exhibiting early signs of behavioural problems. They provide mentors who try to engage troubled kids and get them back on track so that they return to being normally naughty rather than going off track on a more permanent basis.  Must rush now - surgery beckons!

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like a lovely charity to donate to.

    ReplyDelete