Sunday, 25 September 2011

Flapping Fish

I've written about my participation in yoga classes a few times in the past, including a particularly enthusiastic post praising the Yoga Nidra part of the session. None of that energetic stuff of the Ashtanga tradition, that Madonna is alleged to be so fond of, appeals.  Neither does the Bikram method which involves exercising for ninety minutes in a room full of other sweaty individuals.  For me, extended periods where I'm allowed to lie on the floor doing nothing hold the biggest attraction.  Positions that allow me to do this AND which claim to promote weight loss put the cherry on top of the icing.

So it is with great pleasure that I bring you my favourite yoga pose that has taken quite a lot of trouble to find on the Internet.  I knew that the word 'fish' was in its name but preliminary searches showed ones that looked like mild forms of torture rather than something that would generate uber amounts of cosiness.  But finally, I've found what I'm looking for, the 'Matsya Kridasana' or as it's known in English, the 'Flapping Fish' pose.

There, doesn't this look comfy?  It's not sweaty or inducing that puffed out red looks that is only attractive to other Ribena berries.  However, despite her apparent inactivity this lady is working on improving her digestion, curing constipation, fixing sciatica and taking those extra pounds off all at the same time.  Now that's my idea of perfect multi-tasking!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, it turns out I'm doing yoga seven hours a night!

    ReplyDelete