Saturday, 24 September 2011

Google Doodle Doo!!


As I'm housebound at the moment, small events that perk up the day are giving me more pleasure than usual.  So, I was pleased to wake up this morning to find that Google had come up trumps with its interactive Doodle to celebrate Jim Hensen's 75th Birthday. Louis and I spent a little bit of time playing to try to see if  the 'E' would repeatedly eat the 'L'.   Someone  along the line was certainly right about little things pleasing little minds.

Anyway I've been meaning to refresh your memory and show my  all-time favourite Google Doodles for some while now. With all this time to hand it seems like the ideal opportunity.  The way that such diverse events are celebrated appeals to my strong trait for eclectism.  I particularly like the fact that normal special anniversaries are ignored.  If the creators want to celebrate someone's 87th birthday rather than the centennial date who are we to argue?

This one goes back to 1995. Starry, starry night.  Happy Birthday Vincent Van Gogh!

Did you know that Louis Braille was born on 4th January before seeing this.  No I didn't either.
How can I resist this homage to my favourite children's author whose work, which contains some meaningful insights,  spans the generations.
I'm not sure what prompted this doodle but it certainly was a good idea.  Of course we all know that these cornfield designs are created by jokers dragging around big sticks and not alien lifeforms.  Don't we?!


At the time that this Earth Day 2010 doodle was published I was out of internet range making mosaics on Dartmoor with my buddies.  How right on is that!

When you need an excuse to party, think outside the box. Of course the invention of x-rays is a perfect reason!
This worthy contender for inclusion  was only displayed on Google's home page in Japan.  It's based on one of my favourite artworks, The Great Wave by Hokusai.
Call me a philistine if you must.  I hadn't even heard of Constantin Brancusi before I saw this but I was astounded by the originality and wit of his work.  It just goes to show that you live and learn. 

This has to be one of the most memorable doodles.  Don't you remember having fun picking out tunes on this interactive work even though you didn't have a clue beforehand that it was Les Paul's 96th birthday?

Finally this pretty  one celebrates Gregor Mendel's 189th birthday and why ever not?  I'm just wondering if the peas depicted are the hybrids or the purebred ones with dominant genes!

2 comments:

  1. Cool post, thank you. Hope you're feeling a bit better today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post, thank you for the reminder. I must look more closely when they do this kind of thing.

    Are you any beer today?

    ReplyDelete