Saturday, 15 October 2011

Days Out in Devon: Plymouth Hoe

Yippee! My body's restorative processes move ever forward.  The mean green Fiesta Econetique is now out of the garage and four weeks after my operation, I'm allowed to drive again.  My inaugural journey to the hospital on Thursday was routine enough.  I drove myself there without incident and  an ultrasound confirmed that everything is moving in the right direction.  Craving a little more excitement, I cruised down to Plymouth yesterday to see my interneational jetsetting friend, Salty Dog in her home town.  You have to catch her  quick before she flits off to warmer climes or decides on a whim to catch the early ski season in the Arctic.

Although globetrotting always tempts me I'm a little lightweight at the moment so we settled on a wander around the Hoe where Salty Dog  'parked' Sirius, the first boat that she owned.  Ah! fond memories of adventurous sailing trips to Fowey and the Scillies and nights out with the girls to the clubs, pubs and restaurants on the harbour when we'd teeter back after a night out and continue partying.   I don't remember seeing this 1950's style ice cream van though.  A 99 would have been just the thing to help soak up any excessive alcohol intake.

Unfortunately I'm not up to full-scale fun and frolics at the moment so resisted a pint in the Dolphin Inn, the late Beryl Cook's favourite haunt, and headed off instead for a nice cuppa at the 'World Famous' Cap'n Jaspers, one of my favourite no nonsense eateries, a big shed where the only seating is benches outside.  My staple brew can be had here for the uber- reasonable price of 80p with 20p returned when you bring your mug back.

Yippee! My body's restorative processes move ever forward.  The mean green Fiesta Econetique is now out of the garage and four weeks after my operation, I'm allowed to drive again.  My inaugural journey to the hospital on Thursday was routine enough. &n spend on motorhomes, mortgage repayments and  jewellery making tools, or in the case of Salty Dog, boat parts and airfares to far off countries.  This necklace by Tatty Devine  caught my fancy.  I was taken by the clean lines of the acrylic birds - a material to put on my 'To do' list to play with in the future maybe?

Now Salty Dog loves to be captured on film looking at her glamorous best and, as a good loyal friend, I like to oblige.  She was so keen to be snapped in this in an exotic location on the Hoe that she ran there.  Here she is done  up to the nines in her woolly dress and thermal vest. A girl whose been used to a tropical lifestyle gets chillier than the rest of us back in Blighty!

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a great place. You have a very interesting blog! Thanks for visiting my blog.
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to know that you are getting steadily better and going out to meet a friend is a definite tonic. Glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete