Sunday, 9 October 2011

Robbing Peter...

When recovering from illness or an operation it's really hard to work out what is feasible to do.  Anyway I overdid it yesterday, so much so that I couldn't schedule my post for today in advance like usual.  I flaked out at about the same time as Louis went to bed and didn't wake until 8:20am this morning!  Very unusual for an early bird like me.

However, in between rest periods I am now able to walk a reasonable distance and sit in a normal chair.  So, jewellery making has commenced in earnest and I've just started working on some recycling projects to give some old shinies an new and exciting life.

Some things were easy to deal with and involved bashing  - an enormously pleasurable action.  These sea-themed Mexican silver bangles were a breeze.  They were very misshapen but all they needed were a few satisfying thumps each with a hide hammer on a bracelet mandrel to sort them out.  Likewise, the buckle shaped brooch in the main picture just needed its pin straightened.  Another good hammering, this time on my miniature anvil and it's as good as when its Norwegian maker David Anderson manufactured it.  He's a bit trendy at the moment and I was pleased to be able to buy the piece at a snip because of its easily rectified damage.  A pretty necklace with just one missing crystal piece was a simple repair too.  I just removed the offending link and hey presto, a beautiful wearable piece accessory which is as good as new.

Some pieces though haven't been so straightforward.  There's a couple of pieces where I've come to a standstill whilst I'm having a good think.  The blue and white intricately beaded hippy 1970s neckpiece had a tatty old hook and eye as its fastener and deserves something a little more in keeping with the intricate work that went into making it.  But I'm blowed if I can think about how to attach it.  Resetting a stone in a silver necklace is stretching my skills to their limits too.  Yet I have finished one challenging project.  This lilac and purple diamante necklace was stunning but was probably never doing to see the light of day again until  it had  the Lovelygrey treatment as it had a  couple of broken links and missing 'jewels'.  It's taken me all day to repair, including working out how to re-fasten tricky T-shaped connecting links.  For once Ehow failed me.  However, I sussed it and its been restored into something wearable and useful. As some of the segments had to be removed altogether for salvaging stones as replacements in others, I've had to add a chain to extend the necklace back to a wearable length.  The decorative dangly had a former life as an odd earring!

I'll be looking to sell these pieces on in a few weeks as part of my tiny business venture.  Is it viable to restore some of these pieces that are really quite low value anyway?  In the long run probably not.  But I'm learning skills as I go along and having fun in the process!

1 comment:

  1. I think it's always gratifying to renew and restore old things like this and they look lovely.

    ReplyDelete