Friday, 22 June 2012

Poor Doctors

Here's a picture of a man pretending to be a doctor.  I know he's not one because he hasn't got a blue buttoned Oxford shirt and  his hair hasn't got that floppy schoolboy look. And I bet he's not wearing chinos.  Somewhere out in a secret countryside location, I swear that there's a factory that makes clones that infiltrate the UK's medical schools.

Anyway, you've probably guessed what this post is about.  Yup! It's yesterday's strike by medics, the first in this country for about forty years.  They're protesting about changes in their pensions which will see them working to the age of 67 when a newly qualified doctor today can expect to receive over £60,000 a year to retire on, poor things.  But hang on.  Isn't that nearly double what I earn now for my highly skilled job which involves managing significant life threatening risks.

Why do they see themselves as so hard done by?  Well I have a theory  that has come about from my experience of working in  the accountancy sector  until the mid nineties.  Then I was told by the partner of my firm that one of the client's who earned £250,000 was not really well off because he had seven children to privately educate.  And there you have it.  It's all relative.  Most medics still come from privileged backgrounds, or if not, they acquire friends at university who do.  They see their peers toddling off into the private sector and earning ludicrous salaries and bonuses that indeed make them look poor in comparison.   This is in spite of the fact that they are among the highest earning public employees in the Western World.   Yeah,  they can afford their yachts,  but they look rather paltry compared to their mates' staffed gin palaces.

Now you think that I might go on further and have a good old rant about equality and suchlike.  After all, I am a lifelong pinko leftie albeit with entrepreneurial aspirations.  But I'm saying no more.   As with everything else, it seems, it's all far too complicated to sort out!

1 comment:

  1. I think you will find the government were using sleight of hand with the statistics. The £60,000 is what they might receive in 42 years time when they retire.

    How that will compare to the average wage in 2054 I do not know.

    ReplyDelete