Thursday, 10 November 2011

Posh 'Heinz': Sweet Potato Soup

Ah!  Freshly caught and skinned haggis. Just plucked wriggling from a misty Scottish moorland.  I jest of course, These are the sweet potatoes alluded to in today's title.  But don't let this fool you into thinking that the major ingredient is going to be the main influence on the taste of the finished product.  What turns up in the bowl is the spit for Heinz Cream of Tomato soup - only this version is arguably tastier and definitely thriftier.

The recipe is adapted from one of my much loved collection of old paperbacks that I used to pick up from Sainsburys with the weekly shop, The Good Book of Soup by Lindsey Bareham.   This is such a handy volume arranged around the seasons with an additional section on store cupboard ingredients which applies to the recipe that my link will cunningly lead you too!  Ha! Self publicity indeed.  I haven't messed with the original much but have just compensated for the lack of plum tomatoes by substituting tinned ones.


  • Peel about 1lb (454g) haggis sweet potatoes.  You'll notice my scales were way over but once I'd chopped off the ends of my veg it was about right.  Cut them up into large chunks and either steam or boil until softened (about 15-20 minutes whatever method is used).
  • Meanwhile - melt about 2oz (50g) butter in a large saucepan, finely chop an onion and saute this in a covered pan until softened.
  • Open a tin of plum tomatoes and drain as much juice as you can into a measuring jug
  • Top up jug to 1 1/2 pints (just under a litre) with boiling  beef or vegetable stock.  I used a Kallo organic stock cube.
  • Add everything to the pan, season with salt and pepper and blitz.
My guess is a panload will serve 6-8 people.

No comments:

Post a Comment