My motorhome that I'm currently happily holed up in, is the adult equivalent of this and didn't cost a dissimilar amount of money. It's my most prized possession ever and I am perfectly in tune with Meanqueen's sister. My guru of frugality commented on a previous post and told me that her sibling loves her caravan more than her house. So why is this? With the aid of a few bullet points I'll try to explain.
Numero uno. Of course, the most obvious. It moves! I can take my miniature home anywhere I choose. Beaches, city centres, festivals and remote open countryside are all within my easily affordable reach.
- Unlike a tent, once we've stopped there's no faffing about for hours getting things set up. It's more of a home from home than a hotel could ever be too. I can have a cuppa with real milk whenever I like and the price of the alcoholic goodies in my fridge, just an arm's reach away, is miles below that of those emergency rations found in a mini-bar.
- Years ago I looked at an IKEA catalogue which portrayed the seemingly over-optimistic vision of a Scandanavian family living a full and meaningful life in a space equivalent to the size of a small studio flat. Yet my motorhome is just like that. Beds up high expose usable space below and there's so much clever storage that is way above and beyond anything found in a Barratt's box.
- Because of that limited space you're forced to dispense of the unnecessary fripperies that collect in a traditional brick built house. There's no trinkets, rarely used gadgets or things saved for a rainy day. The lack of egg cups this morning meant that Lou's breakfast was served up in the lid from my bottle of deodorant!
- An incredibly thorough spring clean takes about an hour as opposed to more than a day in my brick built home.
- Lots of windows mean that the quality of light in our mobile living accommodation is excellent, a feature that is so important to someone prone to seasonal affective disorder.
- When we park up we often become part of a community of like minded people. They're normally not the type that are up partying until the early hours and the kids -well they find each other and make the kind of entertainment that more often than not doesn't need the help of an electronic device.