Monday, 16 January 2012

Lovelygrey's Well Good Pasta Sauce.

I could have taken a picture of last night's supper but:

1.  Pretty much every reddish coloured pasta sauce looks the same so you wouldn't have gleaned any useful information from the illustration.
2.  I just couldn't be arsed to get my camera when I'd finished cooking. The old tummy was rumbling and I wanted to tuck in.

So instead you'll have to do with this shot from Microsoft Clipart.  Now Louis still can be a messy eater but he doesn't reach these extremes.

Anyway back to the recipe.  It isn't any good for my readers who don't eat pork but for those of you who like a touch of pig in your dinner it makes for a great tasty, cheap, quick supper.  There's just a hint of streaky in there but it lends a  lovely complexity to a tomato based sauce without having to add a myriad of herbs, spices and seasoned oils.   Need I say more to commend it to you?  Serves four.


  • Put salted water on the stove to boil.  Whilst that's going on chop up an onion and two rashers of smoked streaky bacon and then fry them in a bit of oil over a moderate heat until softened.  My onions blackened a bit which may have added to the final dish's smoky taste
  • Once the water has boil cook pasta according to the instructions on the packet.  Add a tin of tomatoes to the onion/bacon mixture and mush them down with a wooden spoon and heat through. Season to taste with salt and ground black pepper.
  • Once pasta is cooked, drain it and reserve a little bit of the cooking liquid.  Using a handheld blender whizz up the contents of the pan, adding a little bit of pasta water to loosen it up to a saucy consistency.
  • Stir pasta into the sauce and coat it evenly.  Believe me this method is much better than dolloping the sauce on top.
  • Of course you'll need freshly grated parmesan to serve!



2 comments:

  1. Bacon makes everything taste better, I agree. You also did the adding the pasta to the sauce right too, just as the Italians do.

    I cooked some purple sprouting broccoli for lunch and added cooked chopped bacon and a garlic clove, very tasty it was too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do a similar sauce , but add the cooked bacon after blitzing the rest of the ingredients.I think this may be on the menu next week after a visit to the butcher.

    ReplyDelete