Sunday, 8 January 2012

Veg Box Tales: Saucy Sprouts

I mentioned this  in my post of Christmas Eve 2010  when I'd prepared it in advance as an accompaniment  to the seasonal roast.  However I've belatedly realised that I didn't give out the recipe at the time.  It's a lovely dish which turns what can be hard boring bullets of greenery into something lush and warming akin to a cauliflower cheese.  But -  this recipe which I believe hails from Jamie Oliver is arguably better and easier too.  It's ideal as a  tasty winter warming supper in its own right.  I've left the amounts of ingredients you need for you to sort out yourselves depending on how many people you're cooking for.  After all you're a sensible lot and I trust you.

Preheat an oven to 190 degrees Celsius.  Prepare Brussel sprouts by cutting off their base and adding an 'X marks the spot' if you must.  Steam them for about fifteen minutes.  Whilst you're doing that chop up and then fry an onion and some bacon.  Grate some strong vintage cheddar if you're British - improvise with any 'blow your socks off' cheese if you're from another nation. Gruyere or parmesan will do nicely but goodness knows how half of my American readers will be able to get what's needed unless they live in Wisconsin!

Once all the stove top cooking is done mix everything together, apart from a bit of cheese, with some seasoned creme fraiche (full fat please!) and pour into a casserole dish.  Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.  Shove it in the oven on a  baking tray to avoid excessive cleaning for 30 minutes.  Serve with plain old bread and butter!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds (and looks) delish, and you don't even have to make a white sauce!

    ReplyDelete