Monday, 23 January 2012

Watching Others Work

For a little while I've been meaning to show you one of my favourite pictures 'Les Raboteurs de Parquet' by Gustav Caillebotte. The original of this hangs in the Musee d'Orsay, Paris alongside many even more known well known impressionist masterpiece.  But a copy in a clipart frame also hangs in the hall at Lovelygrey Villas.  At last I've found the perfect excuse to share it  For I'm linking it with another two paintings which have a common theme. It's not the pretty and frou-frou, lush landscapes or the weird and wonderful that has been grabbing my attention.  Rather it's about the rather pleasurable pursuit of watching other people doing some work for a change!

Here's another slightly more modern picture by Pegaret Anthony.  Now isn't that a name to die for!  I first heard of her when I was poorly and feeding myself a viewing diet of endless antique programmes.   This lady, who was also a costume historian was commissioned, to create some pictures of people going about their jobs during WWII. Some of  her pieces depicting those ordinary souls working towards the war effort are depicted in the Imperial War Museum in London.

And finally the creme de la creme that I saw in the current exhibition 'Into the Light' at RAMM yesterday.  'Fish Sale on a Cornish Beach' by Stanhope Forbes is normally exhibited in the Plymouth City Museum.  It was the piece that first brought the public's attention to the Newlyn group of artists.  It is so exquisite and unusual that I have to have. So if there's any art thieves out there in the Exeter area who've got their crowbar and  black nylon stocking handy, could you just nip in and procure it for me?


2 comments:

  1. The Caillebotte is one of my all time favourites - first saw it at the Jeu de Paume Museum when I was about 17 (ooh - only a few years ago!) and fell under its spell. I love the light in it. Saw it again the summer before last and still love it just as much! The Fish Sale on a Cornish Beach is beautiful too!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Pegaret's name, how original. I hadn't seen any of her work before but it is rather good. The other two pictures you show have been favourites of mine since I went to Art College in the early 60s

    ReplyDelete