Sunday, 27 May 2012

Are We Sitting Comfreyly?

Russian Comfrey by en:Sannse
Working in the alternative, bohemian haven of Totnes for eight years must be having  some effect.  I've bought a poncho,  I lease an car that might be more worthy  of its eco-friendly once I've given Ford a right royal rocket up the bottom later this week when it has its first service and then there's the cosmic ordering.  Blow me down!  If my first request hasn't been delivered!  It turned out that Mr Lovelygrey managed to melt one of his soda stream bottles and consequently had a spare lid!  I'm thinking bigger now and am just about to place an order for a piece of Bernard Moss pottery that I once saw on a home visit.  Let's home the cosmic being overlooks the obvious fact that I'm breaking one of the Ten Commandments here!

Anyway my  transition towards hippydom is further flourishing because I'm now rubbing strange herbal remedies on myself.  I've been given a small tub of comfrey ointment made from the leaves of this plant and petroleum jelly which I'm applying to a poorly shoulder. It seems that living life lugging things around as if I am a packhorse has damaged my rotator cuff, that ring of muscles at the the top of my arm.  It gives temporary relief, and who knows? It may be working at a deeper level.  For apparently this plant is seen by some, including the person who gave me the homemade present, as a first aid kit in its own right.  'Allegedly' (and I'm using this word to avoid being sued) it can heal bronchial problems, broken bones, sprains, arthritis, gastric and varicose ulcers, severe burns, acne and other skin conditions.  It's alternative name 'knitbone' alludes to it's fracture treating powers and of course, any good olde-worlde concoction wouldn't be worth its salt unless it was of some benefit in relieving 'women's problems'. 


If I've whetted your appetite to find out more about this cousin of the herb borage, Wiki is as good a place as anywhere to start.  And if you fancy having a go at making that ointment - head out towards  a local river or ditch for a foraging trip.  Then follow this link  to find out just what you need to do with all those hairy leaves that you've picked!

1 comment:

  1. I spent most of the morning cutting comfrey and laying it between the rows of potatoes we're growing at the allotment- it's good for them too!

    ReplyDelete