Tuesday, 26 June 2012

What Time Do You Call This! Stroppy Clocks and More at Seale Hayne

One of my greatest pleasures is that feeling of awe that I get from looking at other people's artworks. Humankind's potential for creativity and originality never ceases to amaze me. So, for the first time in ages I treated myself this weekend to a visit to Seale Hayne to see what was new in their grounds and gallery spaces.

'And about time too!'  I was greeted by this cry from one of Sarah McCormack's marvellously stroppy clocks.  'Honestly, you're only just around the corner and haven't been here in ages!' Indeed it's been a bit of time since my last visit but I was lured up by publicity posters for the Summer of Art events.  With all those talks, workshops and exhibitions it looks like I might be back a bit quicker next time.  This time though, was a quick-ish visit.  And what a lot of lovely covetable and inspirational objects that I found.
In contrast to all those hard scary clocks there's plenty of  soft, soft textiles like this lovely appliqued and embroidered wall hanging by Sara Evans  Alas, even if I had the money I t think that the ceilings are too low  to display a work this size to good effect so it'll have to be left for someone else to buy and enjoy.  Maybe in the dim distant future when I'm not busy(!) I can dust down the sewing machine and produce something similiar.   I'm also very enamoured with Rosy Tydeman's feltwork and have featured her amazing unstroppy timepiece in a previous post.  Watch out for this lady's name as I'm planning a bigger post devoted entirely to her in the near future!!
Now here's a work in a mixture of media that I've never ever encountered in combo before. Tony Lamb has used the purest gold on wax on Spanish alabaster to create his slightly translucent pieces that seem almost as if they could have been manufactured in ancient times and discovered on an archaeological dig. I'm not sure about the techniques used but this might not be one to try to replicate at home.
Rightfully some of the pieces at Seale Hayne are humongously expensive as the quality of materials used is high and hours of work have gone into their creation.  But what's nice about this gallery is that some of the stuff for sale won't stretch the pocket of Mr or Mrs Average too far.  Here's a lovely handcrafted vase, from the aptly named Richard Glass whose work rates among my absolute favourites. A splash bowl  made with his own fair hands kept calling me from a Dartmouth gallery and can now be counted as one of my most treasured possessions. For just a few pounds more than those mass produced fancies on the high street, you too could  be the proud owner of an original artisan made 'objet d'art'!

No comments:

Post a Comment