Tuesday, 10 July 2012

Cutting Costs

Yum! - a homemade loaf from my breadmaker with less effort involved than a hop down to the local shop to buy one.  It's way less expensive too as long as you can eat the entire thing before it develops a coating of green dust.  Often those shop bought ones  are stuffed full of preservatives and that's the reason why they'll stay fresh for what seems like centuries.   'I'd never get through a loaf before it goes off' seems like the perfectly acceptable excuse of a singleton for not buying a breadmaker. After all we want to cut food waste don't we?  I hope that 'Yes!' is the resounding cry!

Today though I have a simple solution.   Perhaps it will persuade a whole army of people to bite the bullet and invest in a machine that produces a product to be proud of.  Far nicer than that pappy tasteless stuff that is the standard fayre in a supermarket.   Go for a budget machine by all means if you wish but when you replace it, heed the advice of those of us who are older and wiser, and fork out for a Panasonic.  Whilst you're in the spending frame of mind, invest in a bread saver at the same time.  Once your inaugural loaf is cooked,  resist the urge to wolf it down as soon as the timer goes beep. It's  a bugger to cut then.  No, let it cool and then chop it down the middle. One half can be for your immediate munching pleasure.  May I suggest doorsteps slathered with a whole load of good old fashioned butter.  Salted, of course.  None of this fancy pants foodie stuff needed here.   Use the handy guide to  cut the other portion into slices, bag up and then pop them in the freezer for use whenever the need for carbs overcomes you.  

2 comments:

  1. Couldn't agree more! We switched to making full use of our breadmaker because we kept having the bought stuff go mouldy on us in spite of all the preservatives - we didn't eat it fast enough because it wasn't that nice! With hubby away for a couple of weeks, might have to cut the loaves in half like you suggest - that or face the inevitable expansion of my waistline!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great advice. I only buy used breadmakers. Then, I test them with one loaf and sell them for a $10 profit. I have never had trouble selling a used breadmaker. Mine was bought for $4 at a yardsale, still in the box, all taped up from the factory. But, if I ever buy a new one, it will be Panasonic.

    I love your breadslicer. I have one that I have never used. Freezing half the bread is a good idea. I eat it too fast for freezing. I like chunks of bread dipped in olive oil that has Italian seasoning in it. Of course, the hot bread gets a slathering of butter.

    ReplyDelete