Sunday, 12 August 2012

Popalicious

Popping corn has got to be one of the  food bargains of all time, currently  89p for a half kilo bagful in Sainsburys.  As it's super quick to prepare, in about the time it takes for me to harangue Louis to put his shoes and coat on for school,  it's become a lunchbox staple prepared just before I head out of the door each morning. Whilst its calorie count per serving is on a par with crisps there's much more fibre and anti-oxidants in this wholegrain snack.

You really don't need a fancy pants popcorn maker cluttering up the kitchen. just a good old multi-purpose saucepan.  I use a tiny bit of  rapeseed oil to 'aid thermal transmission' and add a handful of kernels.  Then, this is the important bit so pay attention.  Put the lid on.  Otherwise you'll have an unholy mess as those enthusiastic cereal grains come to life and start jumping out of the pan.  After a couple of minutes or so, you'll here them propelling themselves upwards, trying to make the great escape.  You can view what's going on in their by following the link here.  Give the pan a couple of shakes and once all has gone silent it's time to take a peek.  Then I shake in just a little salt and transfer to a lunch tub.  The whole lot is normally gone before I've drunk my first cup of tea in the office!


2 comments:

  1. I didn't realise it was that easy, I might have a go at it. I have a pan with a glass lid, so I could watch them popping :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love popcorn too. I will have to post a picture of my popcorn pan which rotates the corn but as you say all you need is a pan with a lid.

    ReplyDelete