Wednesday, 19 September 2012

Water Meters are Worth Their Weight in Gold!

Isn't this picture, 'Robinet a Maquereaux' by  French artist Brigitte Sidaner with its 3-D sticky outy tap, great?  It's one of the covetable things that I spotted in Concarneau on our recent Brittany trip.  Artists worldwide should, in my opinion, celebrate the humble mackerel a little more in their work.  Not only might it remind us to eat more of this thoroughly delicious and sustainable fish but they are truly creatures of beauty with their shimmering silvery and blue-black skin.  By the way, if crisped up nicely this, along with the flesh, tastes lovely too.

But today's offering is not a cookery post.  It's to celebrate the fact that from now on I will be saving a significant pot of money.  By my reckoning I'm going to be better off by eighty pounds a month.   Over a year that equates to the cost of the flights and accommodation for my now  annual skiing holiday or two ferry crossings to France in the motorhome.  You'll be picking up a theme here as I like to imagine the results of penny pinching in terms of what how that extra money can go towards travel.  I'm thrifty for a number of reasons, the main one being I want vast swathes of my spending to go on what's important to me rather than being frittered away heedlessly.

My title today is a bit of a giveaway about where this conversation is leading. Yay!, with my lovely landlady's agreement, my water meter was fitted.  The first bill has come through showing that I use about a cubic metre of water a week.  That's a thousand litres or about two hundred gallons in common parlance which seems a fair allowance to me, seeing that I use less than two hundred litres weekly when away in the motorhome.   So, now I know where I stand, I go on being conservatively careful with usage  and reap the benefits of my moderate consumption through a little bit of guilt-free international jet setting!

1 comment:

  1. We have a water meter - it was here when we moved in. We used less water than they initially thought we would, so the direct debit was reduced. I pay around £22 per month now - all the savings go towards overpaying the mortgage as paying it off early is our top priority.

    ReplyDelete