Saturday, 6 October 2012

Are You A Litter Bug?

Now I don't expect my lovely readers to be strewing their Kit-Kat wrappers, fizzy drink cans and take out containers  all over the British, and indeed, worldwide, countryside.  I'm sure that they're all far too saintly to indulge in this disgusting anti-social behaviour.   I, for one, often take a bag to clear up after others as a bit of a thank you for the beautiful places where I am allowed to freely roam.   But do you dispose of bio-degradable fruity remains from your lunchbox in the bushes?  Be warned! Case law is against you.  You could be nicked and fined!

A bloke in Northern Ireland has just had to stump up £150 with costs for throwing an apple core out of his car into a hedge after he was seen committing this heinous act by a local enforcement officer in the car behind him.  Now Mama Lovelygrey knows to her cost that throwing things out of a moving vehicle might not exactly be a good idea  Way back in her youth, she threw a half munched pear out of a coach window on a day trip only to have it land in the lap of the person in a seat behind!  But, outside biologically sensitive areas, I've always viewed the idea of this type of disposal, if thoughtfully executed, as rather eco-friendly. Turning the moorland landscape around here into a scene reminiscent of a manic baboon's cage might not add to its aesthetic look. But if hidden in a bush wouldn't that discarded banana skin decomposing quietly, out of sight and mind,  provide nutrients to the plants around it?  And, although the odds are against it,  I always hold out the romantic hope, that one day a tree might grow from one of my own peach kernels or apple pips.

So, now my foul habits are out in the open and I have to say I'm going to continue my careful littering, which after all, just seems tantamount to composting in my humble opinion.  Now that I've 'fessed up I'm fully expecting a bevy of grey suited gents to be following me around on my countryside walks waiting to pounce after snack time!

7 comments:

  1. I threw some chewing gum out of a coach window and in blew back in the next window and landed in my mate's hair.
    I was NOT popular when her sister had to cut it out with nail scissors as the coach drove down a bumpy road!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even throwing a banana skin in a hedge bottom is frowned upon in walking circles. I shred mine as I walk along, a little bit here a little bit there, thus helping it to decompose a bit quicker.
    The flippin security word is that blurred I can't make it out :o(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flippin heck, I guessed right :o) Let's have another go.
    Oooops, wrong that time, trying again.
    Wrong again.......

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find it amazing that this chap was fined, after all it would compost down or be eaten but wild life.

    Funny how manufacurers can pack things in all manner of non compostable containers and nobody turns a hair. Issue us all with Plastic bins, non recycleable, and not turn a hair and yet this poor man gets persecuted by a bigot.

    Shall I go on......

    I fume with the way things are going in this world.

    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've just read your previous post and just had to comment.
    I am a lady of older years and past the dreaded menopause, but can say that I didn't have a lot of problems.

    I think the reason that everything went okay was that I took a large dose of 'Evening Primrose oil' every day (then supplied by my doctor, but now has to be bought in the health food shops)
    Worth a try, I've advised my daughter to take it, she's 45 and has also had gynae ops.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish that officer had been around the other day when we were driving behind a lovely, clean, shiny, red, Alfa Romeo. First one and then a second piece of litter flew out of the window. I cannot understand the moron who keeps their car clean and then chucks their rubbish out of the window.
    I once saw something far more incomprehensible, though; an elderly man who lived near the shops had lots of litter blow into his garden. I saw him picking it up, bending down with a huff and a puff....terrible, I thought, poor old man.....but then he threw it back over the wall onto the pavement! The wall was only low so it would just blow into someone elses garden or back into his. Wisdom does not necessarily accompany age.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do the same with bio degradable. x

    ReplyDelete