Sunday, 14 October 2012

Call Yourself An Art Buff

This painting, 'Abstraktes Bild', sold  at auction for twenty one million smackaroonie a couple of days ago.  That's  a record for a work by an artist who has not yet left this mortal coil to reside in a box six foot under.   The BBC said that  Gerhard Richter was viewed by some as the greatest living painter .  Now there was me believing that accolade went to Rolf Harris!

So there!  I've been shown up to be a complete philistine rather than the arty-farty aesthete that I'd like to portray myself as.  In my defence, I have to say that now I'm aware of this bloke's work ,  I've been left speechless by the beauty of this extraordinarily expensive canvas. I'd love it regardless of whether it had a  huge price tag or not.   Mr Richter's website which comprehensively catalogues his work in a variety of media will be a source of splendiferous eye candy and inspiration for months to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment